The current forecast is calling for Severe Winter Weather and Coastal Flooding to hit the state of NJ this weekend 1/22, 23 & 24. This storm could bring heavy snow and significant coastal flooding.
Most businesses and homeowners have NO FLOOD insurance. Even if you do have flood insurance through the national flood program, coverage is extremely limited for basements and rooms below ground level. Flood insurance does NOT cover Personal Property in any room below ground; take precautions to protect your personal property from FLOOD losses.
We cannot encourage you enough to review the storm preparations (see links below) to protect your family and your property. In addition, we encourage you to take whatever steps you can safely to protect your property from any additional loss if it is damaged.
PREPARE YOUR PROPERTY
Avoiding Frozen Pipes – Sourced from Plymouth Rock Assurance
- When it’s chilly outside, let cold water trickle from the faucets in your home.
- Keep garage doors closed, especially if you have water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow warm air to reach the plumbing (be sure to move any cleaners or chemicals out of the reach of children and pets).
- Keep your thermostat set to a warm temperature. If you’re leaving town, set it to no lower than 65 degrees. Read more about preventing frozen pipes.
Additional Home Prep
- Pack up outdoor furniture and window air conditioning units.
- Seal cracks and drafts.
- Clean gutters and address damaged shingles on the roof to prevent ice dams.
On the Road
- Stock your car’s winter roadside emergency kit with all the essentials.
- Check your oil and antifreeze levels.
- Replace tires if needed, and make sure they are designed for winter traction.
TIP: Perform the penny test to measure tread wear.
- Replace windshield wipers if you haven’t within the past six months.
- Refresh your knowledge of winter weather driving techniques.